Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Gooey, fudgy brownies

Ever since the start of this year, Andre's appetite has exploded. He now eats the equivalent of two persons, so it can be quite a costly affair bringing him out for meals! At a recent trip to Sushi Express, our family of four chalked up a total of 32 plates of sushi, half of which was wolfed down by Andre. That's 32 pieces of sushi.

I didn't grow up around teenage boys so this voracious appetite is new territory for me. In fact, I was a little sceptical at first. Is Andre really going through a growth spurt or just a fat phase? Anecdotes from other parents have convinced me that it's most likely the former. Phew! Otherwise, I'd seriously have something to worry about. Eg. this was Andre's lunch yesterday:


Two pork chops with mashed potatoes and a heaped plate of spaghetti, followed by fruit and a glass of milk. A friend who's worried about her "tek-kor" son asked me how to cultivate such an appetite. I told her in all honesty, no need to cultivate. Just wait till he's 13 or 14, then boom! Bottomless pit!

Anyway, this isn't a post about my son's gastronomic habits, as you can probably tell from the title. It's been a long time since I posted a recipe. You might have guessed that cooking isn't exactly my thing. But since it's the school holidays and I now have an eating monster at home, I decided to bake brownies.

In the past, I thought the best brownies had to be made with chocolate, which put me off a little because it's expensive and I don't keep baking chocolate bars at home. Then I came across a recipe that said the best fudgy brownies with a chewy top are actually made with cocoa powder, not chocolate. Well! That's easy then. I usually have cocoa powder somewhere. So I tried it out and lo and behold, it was really good. So good that the first batch was walloped by me and the kids in one sitting. So the next time, I made another batch - this time a double. At least it lasted a couple of days.

The best part about making brownies is its simplicity. The ingredients are straightforward and it's a mix-everything-into-one-bowl (well, almost) kind of recipe. You don't even need to use a beater.

So here's my version of the recipe. It's a double portion and I tweaked it to reduce the sweetness. I also added chocolate chips cos I have this strange belief that everything tastes better with chocolate chips:

Ingredients:
  • 290g unsalted butter, melted
  • 400g caster sugar
  • 160ml unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 large eggs, cold
  • 140g plain flour, sifted
  • chocolate chips or nuts (optional)
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 165 degrees C.  Grease the bottom and sides of 13"x8" baking pan.
2. Combine melted butter, sugar, cocoa and salt. Stir until mixture is smooth. Don't worry if it looks gritty.


3. Stir in vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. 
4. When the batter looks thick, shiny and well blended, add the flour and stir until well mixed. Then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with a wooden spoon or spatula. 
5. Stir in the chocolate chips or nuts.  

6. Spread evenly in pan. 

7. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer in centre emerges slightly moist with batter.


It really does have that chewy, candy-like crust and a gooey centre. When warm, it's quite light so if you like your brownies dense, you might prefer it cold. My kids love eating this straight from the fridge.
 


4 comments:

Elgarmummy said...

That story about your son's meal is funny. I remember the first time I went out with guy friends, (I was from a girls' school), I was surprised when one guy who was of average size carried two plates of food to the table. I thought he had bought for his friend, and was shocked when I realised both plates were for himself.

monlim said...

Hahaha, Lesley-Anne tells me that some of her male classmates do that now - eat two portions of food!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The brownies sounds yummy! Will try making it too. BTW what's the grams equivalent for 160ml of cocoa powder? Thanks.


Em

monlim said...

Em: I'm sorry, I don't know! I use a 50ml measuring spoon and scoop 3 and a bit :P I'm an agar agar type of baker, haha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...