Sunday, December 25, 2011

'Tis the season to be jolly

We've lived in our new home for about a month now (after discounting the 2 weeks we were away in NZ) and it's only about now that I finally feel this is home.

It may sound strange but for the first couple of weeks, a part of me felt like I was living in a show flat. I would get very flustered when I saw newspapers carelessly strewn on the coffee table or half eaten bags of potato chips lying around. This is extremely uncharacteristic behaviour as I am a slob at heart. Tidying up, to me, is as fun as having a root canal. So it was very disconcerting indeed.

Thankfully, I'm back to my normal, messy self now. This house, however, is turning our entire family into couch potatoes. We've never had cable before (I know, we're stone age) and since my mother-in-law watches Korean dramas, we subscribed to Starhub.

My conclusion is that cable is EVIIIIL. Why? Cos now, no matter whether it's 10 o'clock in the morning or 4.30 in the afternoon, there's always something interesting on. Either Nigella is cooking up something decadently delicious or the folks at CSI are wading through the mandatory 100 red herrings to solve yet another murder, neatly within 50 minutes. Whatever. It's incredibly addictive.

These photos show only Andre but truthfully, all of us spend an extended amount of time in front of the telly.

It's official - I live in the house of sloth. I'm praying that we will OD on food and forensics soon so we can get them out of our systems and get on with our lives.

But after the hustle and bustle in the last quarter of the year, it's kinda nice to just zone out. It's also the first Christmas in our new home and I've found that playing the Glee Christmas album while doing absolutely nothing makes me happy. (It's a very campy album but infectiously jolly).

We've only a few more days to the end of 2011 and we've been celebrating the season with family and friends. Family, friends, food and gifts - all enveloped in the warmth of love and home. There really isn't anything more one can wish for. Looking back at the momentous year we've had, I can only say I'm unspeakable grateful for the journey God has led us on and His tremendous, unbridled blessings.


Blessed Christmas to all of you, my dear friends.

"One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly." ~Andy Rooney

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mon, firstly Merry Christmas and to all at home!

Sounds like you are describing me! I did a major spring cleaning to 90% of my place, 10% to be continued till CNY... and now my tolerance level for mess is zilch. I find myself "screaming" at my family members to put things back where they came from. My hands are perpetually busy to tidy up the place. LOL...guess I just set a time bomb inside me......

ok..time to get back to normal laissez-faire lifestyle....to get back my sanity. LOL

qx

monlim said...

QX: Isn't it funny we have a neat freak lurking in us all this time? LOL!

Very happy wishes to you and your family this Christmas season!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mon for the wishes! :)

Yes that freak in me is killing me for now...it better leave me soon, easier that way than to change the world around me! LOL

qx

MrsCheng said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. I like your dining chairs. And your house looks really spacious and homely. I agree cable can be addictive. We had a trial of 3 months but kept having problems with the set. Maybe it's a blessing. In the end, my kids declared they can live without it, so we're still cable free at home.

monlim said...

Merry Christmas to you too, Mrs Cheng! I know what you mean about cable. A part of me misses looking forward to a few tv shows a week, at fixed times. Now it's any day, any time! Ah well...

Jo said...

Wishng you & your family a blessed Christmas ! What a beautiful home with yummy food :)

This holiday my girls have also been couch potatos - if not cable tv, then it's the computer / ipad / ipod .... aiyoh the hours & days just fly past ... I was quite relaxed during this long holidays to give them a good break but I will be imposing limits this week or they will have to go "cold-turkey" once school starts :P

FYI, my girls are doing fine under Peter, been 3 months now :)

Jo

monlim said...

Jo: Andre too has been so slack, he's going to suffer when school reopens! Glad to hear the girls like Uncle Peter :)

Happy holidays to you and your family too!

Anonymous said...

Mon, I dun have cable in my place too, and I just gotten the internet connect on the last day of 2011 in my new place. I have been using the mobile broadband for the last 6mths....its a torture, super slow speed.

You have a very nice home! So spacious!!

Chris

monlim said...

Thanks Chris! Ohh... slow internet would just about kill me! Glad you got that sorted out :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...