Sunday, May 9, 2010

Gestures of love on Mother's Day

I think it's a cruel joke that Mother's Day falls right smack in the middle of mid-year exams. How to celebrate and relax when you're stressed out over revision and knee deep in assessment papers?

Kenneth reminded me that Mother's Day originated from the US and offered to take over revisions with Andre for the day. Now, THAT'S a super Mother's Day gift!

But as always, my kids came through for me. Lesley-Anne presented me with this absolutely adorable blue hedgehog which she crafted herself, using a ping pong ball and scraps from an old towel. What can I say? Her creativity and thoughtfulness are straight from the heart. I'm so blessed.

Andre gave me his usual card made from construction paper, done the night before (he'd only found out about Mother's Day a few days ago). Clipped at the back of the card, I found this:










Four whole dollars! Well, if you calculate its value from a nine-year-old's perspective, this is probably closer to $400. Quite a fortune, really. I'm considering framing it up.

Some time back while I was sitting in Andre's room watching him play, he suddenly turned to me, gave me a bear hug and said, "You're the best mummy in the world." When Lesley-Anne was 10, she had to write and present an essay in class on the person she admires most. The honour went to me.

Mother's Day is grand and I appreciate the wonderful gestures of love. But you know what's even better? Displays of affection in an otherwise ordinary moment, without the motivation of a dedicated "day" or event. These are the little sparks that remind us mums, especially during times of self-doubt or reproach, we must have at least done something right.

A very happy Mother's Day to all you special mums out there, and may your journey of motherhood be a richly fulfilling one!

12 comments:

Lilian said...

Happy mother's day!!! What wonderful n thoughtful gifts. Lesley's is gorgeous n Andre's is practical, I can't decide which is better haha love them both! Keep being the fantastic mum you are to your two darlings.

monlim said...

Thanks Lilian! Kenneth told Andre he doesn't have to wait till Father's Day to give him money, keke. You're a fantastic mum yourself, Happy Mother's Day to you too!!

Yin said...

What super gifts from Kenneth and the children! I laughed out loud at Andre's thoughtfulness, you'll have to teach us how to wrought that from our kids, lol. Blessed Mothers' Day!

monlim said...

Yin: Blessed Mother's Day to you too! I'm sure your 2 fab boys showered you with love too :) Ask me the same question 10 years from now, I'll let you know if it still works, hehe.

Hopeful said...

Agree w your gripe about Mother's Day falling in the exam period. My Mother's Day moment was not getting presents or cards, but sitting at the piano with my dd and singing "Rhythm of the Falling Rain" together. :)

Hopeful

monlim said...

Hopeful: Aww.. that's sweet :)

Alice Law said...

Hi, dropping by again! You have such thoughful and caring little kids, LOL! Happy belated Mother's day to you!

Have a great day ahead!

monlim said...

Thanks Alice! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mon

just saw the news - weighting of MT to remain, no change. How sad. The protesters won.

T

monlim said...

T: What to do, clearly this issue has become more about politics than education. Which tells me the elections are probably near :P

Anonymous said...

Mon, your kids are so sweet lah! Love the green hedgehog, so cute!! I would frame the money & the notes up.

Chris

monlim said...

Thanks Chris! Yes they are sweet and I'm a lucky mum :) Happy belated Mother's Day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...